This recipe is a great way to use any bananas that are a little too ripe! And it can easily be doubled if you have several over-ripe bananas. If you do this, make sure to use a larger baking dish and adjust the baking time a bit. I hope you enjoy!
Monkey Bars (from MyRecipes.com)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon apple juice (orange juice or cranapple also work)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup walnuts, optional
- powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Combine the raisins and apple juice in a bowl and microwave on high for one minute. Set aside.
- Combine flour and next two ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well with a wisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and melted butter with a mixer over medium speed. Add banana and next three ingredients, mixing well. Add the flour mixture, beating until just combined. Stir in the raisin and walnuts.
- Spread the batter in the greased 9x9 inch dish and bake for 30 minutes. Cool bars completely on a wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.