August 14, 2013

Gardening and Bugs

Well, I am happy to report that leaving the greenhouse door open has helped rid the broccoli of the evil caterpillars. Natural predators, to include Cooper, are doing the job.  He likes to put all the bugs he finds in a small cage, and inevitably, after a week in the cage, everything dries up. Slugs, snails, grasshoppers, you name it. I usually let out the bugs I like, the ones I deem as "good bugs" and let the otherse wither away (grasshoppers are on my good bug list). I feel bad and a bit guilty allowing the green broccoli eating caterpillars and slimy pepper plant eating snails to whither away, but then I get over it. Just a year ago, I wouldn't have let them die. Having a garden has changed my mind quite a bit. Gardening is not cheap, and I really am emotional about my plants! So much time and effort goes into keeping them happy! Cooper tries to take good care of his bugs. I told him he can keep a frog one day if he can keep his bugs living for two weeks. I don't think we'll be getting a frog anytime soon....


Fresh Veggies at a market
Slugs come out in masses after it rains here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!