March 13, 2013

Amazing Broccoli Cheese and Potato Cream Soup

Last night was a rough night. And as Alexander would say "some days are just like that, even in Australia" (hopefully you have read Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day) and know what I am referencing.

Lily was exhausted and wanted me carrying her around non stop after 5:00 rolled around. She was just so tired. She went to bed at 6 last night poor girl. Cooper was in a very mouthy mood and got in trouble a few times calling us names. A lot of crying from both kids and my patience was very thin. Not a good combo. I make it worse often with my sighs and shortness with Cooper. Having very inadequate mothering skill feelings these days.

One good thing is I experimented and made a delicious soup. The downside? Cooper didn't touch it and I didn't take any pictures. He was already in a foul mood and just being plain stubborn. He is normally a good eater. Lately, I can't get him to sit still at the dinner table! We never had this problem a few months ago. Not sure how to nip this new inconvenient habit in the bud. Any tips out there? I will not do what my dad did and force him to sit there until he eats the food. I'm still a little mad at dad for doing that so many times as a child. It never worked and just built up anger. There must be a better method.

Okay, so now on to happy thoughts. It's a new day. I will have a GOOD night with the kids tonight and we will sing and dance and be happy. Determined.

Oh yeah, before I forget, the reason for this post! The recipe for my soup concoction last night! Truly, try it. YUM!

Broccoli Cheese and Potato Cream Soup

Ingredients
1 onion (diced)
2 Carrots (diced)
1 potato (diced)
1 bag of frozen broccoli (I didn't have fresh on hand last night)
1/4 cup of flour
4 Cups milk
1-2 Cups Cream
1/4 stick butter (melted in the pot)
Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (a few cups)
salt/pepper

First brown the onion, carrots and potato in a pot with the melted butter. I let them cook about 5 minutes until browned on medium high. Then add the flour on top and mix together. Then add the milk and cream and broccoli and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat and cover for 30 mins. I used my immersion blender to blend up everything nice and smooth. Then added a few handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese. 2-3 cups at least I would say. Stirred until melted and then served with bread. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!