Thanks to my parent-in-laws birthday gift this month, I am the proud owner of a cast iron casserole otherwise known as Dutch oven. I am going to use this thing all the time. No knead bread is seriously easy, and if you haven't tried it, you'll wish you had been making bread this way for years. I can't wait to try some whole wheat/healthier versions this week!
Recipe for No Knead Jalapeno Cheddar Crusty Bread
3 cups of organic white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
3 jalapenos finely chopped (add more or less depending on your spice threshold)
1 cup of lukewarm water
1/2 cup sour cream
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients.
2. Add the warm water and sour cream and mix together with a wooden spoon until it forms a shaggy dough.You don't have to knead the bread, just get it all mixed together and leave it alone. Cover the bowl and let it sit in a warm place 12-24 hours.
3. When you are ready to cook the bread the next day, preheat your oven to 450F with the dutch oven in the oven as well, uncovered.
4. Meanwhile, plop your dough onto a floured peice of wax paper, flour up your hands well, and form the dough into a ball shape. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel, and let sit for 30 minutes while the oven preheats.
5. Carefully take the oven out, place the dough ball into the center of the dutch oven, cover with the lid and put in the oven for 25 minutes covered. After 25 minutes, take the lid off the dutch oven, and let the bread cook in the oven for another 10 minutes to get that nice crusty finish.
6. When finished, let the bread cool on a wrack or piece of parchment paper and resist the urge to cut into the loaf for just 10 minutes or so. Slice and enjoy :)