February 11, 2014

Content

“The greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.” Martha Washington
 The other night, when the kids were in bed and Frank and I had a chance to catch up and talk, we discussed being content. The definition for content ranges from "in a state of peaceful happiness" to "pleased and satisfied, not needing more". And the roots of the word come from the Latin word contentus, from past participle of continēre to hold in or contain.

I like thinking about the root of the word. I imagine myself a container, ready to hold onto happiness and good moments.

Some moments, I feel like I really have that peaceful happiness, that feeling so pleased and satisfied that I could never need or want or ask for anything more. I wish I could hold onto that contentment, my contained happiness, throughout the day every.single.day. I'm practicing. Learning to recognize the moments and how to frame my mind to be more content daily.
  
 “I have learned that to be with those I like is enough” Walt Whitman

Sunday morning was one of those content mornings, and I told myself to capture it so I could hold on to it a little bit longer. Kids and bubbles. Bubbles and kids. Even on a chilly morning, they were content to blow and chase bubbles for almost an hour. For that hour, I wanted nothing else but to see them laughing, playing, and running around so happy giggling over bubbles. Content.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!