November 21, 2013

Lush Knock Off Bath Bomb Tutorial

I love baths. Seriously love baths. To the point where I have picked the homes we rent or buy over the last few years based on the niceness of the bathtub. Yeah, I know. Pretty crazy. It's my way to unwind. My happiness maker. My zen. The key elements for my perfect bath are: low lights, candles surrounding the bathroom, Norah Jones playing in the background, scented bath goodies, and a husband downstairs entertaining the kids for 20 minutes.



Over the years, I have received many wonderful bath gifts from my husband (he knows me well), my favorites being Lush. Their bath bombs are ridiculously awesome. Huge, fizzy, smelly good and make my skin oh so soft. The price? $6 a bath. Yeah, not really something I splurge on more than twice a year. Thus, the reason for this post. After many scientific experiments, reading a gazillion blog posts on the subject, and some inspiration, I have created the perfect Lush Bath Bombs for about $1 a bomb. I seriously did a happy dance last night when I tested out my newest batch.


What you need: 
2 Cups Baking Soda (I bought a HUGE box at the grocery store for $2)
1 Cup Epsom Salts (I bought a 10 pound box on amazon)
1 Cup Citric Acid (Ordered off Amazon)
10 drops of Food Coloring
1-2 Teaspoons Essential Therapeutic Grade Oils (ordered mine on Amazon)
2-3 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (or Almond Oil worked great as well)
Water in a spray bottle
2 Bowls
A whisk
Molds (I used plastic ornament balls I ordered from Amazon)

This recipe makes 6 large Bath Bombs.

Step 1
Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl with a whisk. The citric acid might be the only ingredient that is a little hard for you to fine. Probably find it near canning supplies in the grocery store.

Step 2
Mix the food coloring, essential oil (I use lavender because I love it), and coconut oil together in a separate bowl. I tried olive oil in other batches, and didn't feel like it left my skin as soft as the coconut oil or almond oil. Plus, I like the coconut smell mixed in with the lavender.

Step 3
Slowly start adding the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients stirring with the whisk. After all my wet ingredients are added, I squirt water from a spray bottle until the mixture is slightly damp and sticks together when I squish it with my hands. You may need to add more essential oil or coloring or coconut oil at this point. If the water is causing a reaction (fizzing), then stop wetting it. If the mixture is not holding together, add more oil, it will not cause a reaction with the baking soda and citric acid and will help create the consistency you need.

Step 4
Squish the mixture into your mold. I use plastic 11cm diameter ornament balls. Pretty big. They work great and are super cheap. Squish one side of the ball full, then the other, then press together. Let the bomb sit while you make the rest of the bath bombs.


Step 4.5 (Making Bath Bombs Kids Will LOVE)

Before you press the sides of the ball together,  stick a sponge capsule animal into the center of the mixture. Yeah, it is pretty awesome. Your kids will love you. I ordered 12 packs of sponge animals for $10 on amazon. You can get them at the dollar store and each pack comes with 6 capsules. Plus, add a little more dye to their bath bombs so their baths turn colors. I think I'm going to add some Crayola bath tub color tabs to the inside of mine for an even more dramatic effect next time. 


Step 5
Carefully pull the sides of the mold apart. Do not twist. Lay the balls on paper and set them by a heater to dry overnight. If they break (and some of them most likely will your first time), just remix them and add a little water or oil if they were too dry.


Step 6
Wrap them up, place in a cute bag, and voila! The perfect handmade stocking stuffer. Handmade, all natural bath bombs! Make sure to leave one out for yourself and plop one in your bath tonight, lay back, and enjoy!


Linking up to Becoming Martha and The Thriftiness Miss and Gingerly Made 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!