January 29, 2013

Homemade Chocolate Dipped and Strawberry Glazed Doughnuts

Every week, it was tradition for Frank and Cooper to head down to Magee's Bakery in downtown Lexington at least one time together, then head to Woodland Park, just a block or two down the road. Cooper would sit and eat every last bite of his fresh chocolate covered sprinkle doughnut while Frank sipped his coffee and enjoyed breakfast with his precious toddler son. I was envious. I would get iPhone pictures of their adventures daily. Made work tolerable and always put a smile on my face. Bittersweet moments for me.

Sunday, Cooper and I decided to give our best at making doughnuts like Magee's. I used a recipe from The Pioneer Woman for the doughnuts. I had seen several others use her recipe as well and the doughnuts looked amazing. Instead of a glaze, we wanted chocolate dipped so we heated some cream and poured it over semi sweet chocolate chips to make a nice rich/thick coating. Cooper wanted a cherry glaze as well, but all I had was frozen strawberries, so we blended those up with some powdered sugar for a delicious strawberry glaze. Add some sprinkles, and voila! Just like Magee's. Only this time, I got to enjoy them with him. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!