March 28, 2014

Friday I'm in Love

Hey friends! The weekend is here again at last! Last weekend we did an indoor climbing competition and had a great time, and this weekend, we're headed outside to climb in the Frankenjura. The temps are supposed to be perfect! Can't wait.

Today we had a Women's Empowerment conference with some big wigs in the German political world and US Army and a luncheon afterwards. It was pretty awesome and inspiring, and refreshing I must say. We read the book "Lean In" by Sheryl Sandberg (watch the TED talk here) to discuss leadership topics regarding women at the luncheon. Have you all heard about the Ban Bossy campaign? The theme of the campaign is "When a little boy asserts himself, he's called a “leader.” Yet when a little girl does the same, she risks being branded “bossy.” Words like bossy send a message: don't raise your hand or speak up. By middle school, girls are less interested in leading than boys—a trend that continues into adulthood. Together we can encourage girls to lead".

Made me really think hard about my role in the male dominated workforce. How we really do need to change the way we raise our children/teach our children to start eliminating the gap. My kids aren't bossy. They are leaders.  We (my three sisters and I) fortunately were raised to be leaders and to go after anything we dreamed we wanted to do. I've never been able to keep my mouth shut at a meeting and have been labeled as bossy too. But hey, its a good thing to be the boss and I'm feeling more proud of my accomplishments after today's discussions. If you haven't checked out the Ted talk (part 2), men and women, I highly recommend you check it out. And the book.  If you have, what did you think?

Also, some more links for you to enjoy:

Have you heard about this crazy speed reading app?
A powerful short movie about foster parenting I highly recommend. Had me in tears.
I want to make these crepes this weekend! 
Some fun ideas for Spring.
Classic MMM post on being successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear from you!